Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tis the Season


This past weekend,for the Thanksgiving Day Holiday, we had some family to the house. It was a good time had by all, as the emotional transition from Autumn to the Christmas Season took hold. Per tradition, on Black Friday night, we popped in Chevy Chase's National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Everybody loves this flick and it really gets the engines turned on for the December run up.

But this year something I simply can't believe happened. One of Lou's "Canadian" cousins, Cousin Jim, he refs high school basketball and soccer, told us he had NEVER seen National Lampoons X Mas Vacation. What?! A grown man? He wanted to go downstairs and watch NCAA b-ball, but we made him watch the movie instead.

After 20 minutes he got up and walked away, saying it was stupid and he hated it. What?! We made him come back and watch when Cousin Eddie shows up, because everybody knows that Cousin Eddie is super funny. I mean, come on, everybody knows that. But guess what? Cousin Jim hated Cousin Eddie. "Save the neck for me, Clark." Nothing? I give up. Have you ever met someone who has NOT seen National Lampoons? Have you ever met someone who HATED National Lampoons?

Of course this got me thinking about the greatest X Mas movies ever. I hate You'll shoot your eye out, and Miracle on 34th Street, and It's a Wonderful Life. Let me quote Tony Soprano on this last movie, "Enough already."

For what it's worth, this is the list of my 10 Favorite X Mas Movies.

10. Four Christmases
9. Elf
8. Home Alone 2
7. Santa Claus the Movie (Not Tim Allen. Dudley Moore)
6. Trading Places
5. Scrooged
4. The Family Man
3. Home Alone
2. Bad Santa
1. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

So in closing I leave you with a Christmas Song: I pledge allegiance to the flag . . .

Brian Huba
11/30/11

No comments:

Post a Comment